Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years

10 years ago I was sitting in my first period class. World Geography with Mr. Dupree. Because I transferred in from another district I took some classes out of order and was the only sophomore in a class full of freshmen.

Class was almost over. We were drawing maps and penciling in locations. I'll never forget when the door opened and a classmate named Jordan who had been at the dentist that morning walked in late. His eyes were huge. He said, "We just heard on the radio that a plane hit one of the World Trade Centers." Mr. Dupree, without a pause replied, "Osama Bin Laden".

He turned on the TV and we all watched.

Right before we left his room, we watched live as the second plane slammed in to the second tower.

I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

I was 15. I didn't know what this meant but I knew I was scared. I knew my brother was traveling with his baseball team. And I kept hearing from teachers that nothing would ever be the same.

They were right.

My sweet Madelyn was born in to this war era. Some days it's easy to get wrapped up in our own little world and forget what is happening still to this day. So many sacrifices. So much pain. So many still grieving the loss of those they love from that day and the days that followed.

As I watched Madelyn dance around the driveway this evening I couldn't help but cry. Each tear was a mixture of sadness for what took place that day, grief for the families affected, gratitude for service men and women who risk their lives and joy that I am able to live this life and watch my sweet girl play in our front yard without fear.


We most certainly will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter