Monday, October 31, 2011

I'm home!

It was a sweet reunion to hug my precious husband and baby girl's neck on Saturday evening. I missed their touch while I was away and still can't believe that I, who had never left Madelyn for more than 36 hours, managed to be away for 11 days and not be a mess while I was gone. I should be able to believe it though, because I know I was right where God wanted me to be.

I have thousands of pictures and even more words floating around in this head of mine that I want to jot down before I forget, but I just don't know where to start. I think it will take me the next month to get them all out. However, the one thing that I can't seem to put off is the answer to the question the van driver who picked us up from the airport asked; "What is the one thing that you will always think about when you think about this trip?'

Luke and I have been involved with PCM for about two years now. We have sponsored and volunteered and told just about anyone who will listen  how much we love what they are doing in Uganda, Africa. When Luke went in January, it became more personal to us. He had met the boy that we give $35 a month to so that he can be educated, clothed, fed and loved on by the PCM staff. He met the teachers, pastors, many secondary students and saw first hand many of the things that we had only heard about before. Then it was my turn to go. I knew that I would love being there, but I really wrestled with whether I should go. Whether my money would have had more of an impact as a donation to the new school building.  

I thought that seeing it all through their blogs and pictures and my husband's eyes from his trip, was enough and that my going was somewhat selfish. 

Then I went.

And I too met Emmanuel and his precious sister, Patience (who is also already sponsored).

The time I spent with these two is time I will hold near to my heart and time I hope to experience again. During one of our conversations, I asked them if they liked going to school there. Of course, they said yes. Then, I asked what was the best part about going to school there. Patience's quiet response was this...
We were hungry before. We eat now. We are children here.
To the van driver who picked us up at the airport, that is the one thing that I will always remember about this trip. It took me going there to hear it. It took me going there to have a deeper understanding of the good work Parental Care Ministries is doing in the lives of over 1,000 children in Uganda.

I will always remember her response. It has made the passion inside of me for Parental Care Ministries and what God is using them to do more personal. He used it to show me once again, in a more intimate way the importance of caring for orphans and needy children. The importance of sponsorship.

I had about 20 emails from friends, family and strangers who read this blog while I was gone that asked me about sponsorship through Parental Care Ministries. Did I think it was worth it? Is the money going to where they say it's going? Would I recommend them as an organization?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes!

So, take a look. Patience's words should be all that it takes to convince you if you are able.

We were  hungry before. We eat now. We are children here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter