Monday, May 17, 2010

dress up, bottles and bed

I have to admit that on Sunday mornings (and every morning for that matter) I feel a bit like a little girl dressing up her dolls. I have a hard time choosing which outfit to put on the little princess...mainly because she has so many that are just too cute. It's fun to me. She's a million times better than my "Baby Alive" doll that I would change 10 times a day (although you have to admit...a doll that you can feed and change a wet diaper is pretty cool or creepy) but it reminds of those days all the same.Madelyn loves music, so she sat with me during worship at church. I could tell she was about ready to jump out of my arms and crawl everywhere (it would have been hard to deny it with how squirmy she was) so I took her to the nursery once the music was over. I am making progress. She did great. I am pretty sure I heard nothing that the pastor said. It was like I heard a muffled sound and no matter how hard I tried to listen, all I could think about was Madelyn. She was crying when I went to pick her up but it was only because another kid started to eat a snack and this girl does not like it if you eat in front of her and don't share! Ha!
Our whole day yesterday was jam packed. Church, lunch, errands with Grandma, and then while Luke was speaking at a community event in another town, Madelyn and I went to an open house for Parental Care Ministries. After that we went to Wal-Mart for some much needed groceries (I was definitely the lady that had her baby at Wal-Mart waaaay past her bed time-she did great though). We were gone all day. When we got home and walked in the door it was HOT. 85 degrees to be exact. It was very obvious that our AC was not functioning properly so we spent the night downstairs on the couch bed where it was still cool. It was a little family adventure to say the least.

Thankfully it was fixed this morning.

Madelyn took a FOUR HOUR nap this morning and on in to the afternoon. It was very much appreciated considering the couch bed and I did not get along well last night!

In the last few days Madelyn has finally decided that bottles are not evil. We had been trying to give her a bottle of formula off and on for a few weeks just to have that as an option and she refused. By refused, I mean pursed her lips at the sight of a bottle. We tried several different kinds and finally I decided to try one last type of bottle and add a little cinnamon to it. This kid loves cinnamon. She sucked that first bottle down so fast that I think it gave her a tummy ache. Since then she seems to get excited when we make one for her (even without the cinnamon-I only had to do that once). She does have a knack for the finer things in life though because she decided she likes the Born free bottles that are $10 each. That wouldn't be a big deal, but considering we have about $100 worth of unused Dr. Browns bottles (those are the ones she decided that she hated), it's no fun to buy more (especially at $10 a pop).

Last night she fell asleep mid bottle in Luke's arms.
After a little nap in Daddy's arms, she and I went to get ready for bed. I think it is so cute the way she holds her medicine bottle.
She rolled around all over the bed while she was taking it.
I am not sure there is anything funnier to her than looking at everyone else upside down. She just cracks up.
I love snuggling with her in bed. I think we have officially moved out of the recliner for sleeping (praise the Lord!) but after nearly 8 months of sleeping most nights in there, my body isn't sure how to handle laying flat! The next step...Madelyn sleeping in her own bed. I don't see that happening any time soon. I like having her close and her monitor right in my ear (notice the big black thing on the night stand behind me). It may be sooner than I think...who knows??

6 comments:

  1. Aren't you worried about SIDS with her sleeping in your bed. Also good luck trying to keep her in the church nursery and her own bed since you have one little spoiled girl there. I realize you went through a lot when she was born but you just make things worse by over protecting her. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Is that necessary? Do you just live a miserable life where you have nothing better to do than criticize a stay at home mom's parenting skills?

    Let me answer your questions for her:

    1. Can you not read? She is on an apnea monitor that alerts them when she is not breathing. I think they've got the SIDS thing covered!

    2.Is it really your problem that she is going to have a spoiled little girl? Most babies have a hard time at first in the nursery and in their own beds. I doubt Madelyn will be the exception to that but from what it sounds like, she loves the nursery.

    3.Why are you spending so much time reading this lady's blog and not taking care of your own children? Maybe you need to pay a little bit more attention to your own personal affairs and leave Kathryn alone.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous..I plan to sign my name because I want you to know who I am. I see no reason for you to be so ugly to people you don't even know!This is not your child, grandchild,nor your great grandchild.But she is mine.I have held her,prayed for her,seen her smile and touched her tears.SPOILED...oh yes! Thank GOD I Did not see you there when Maddie was born...you have no idea what any of us went through especially Luke and Kathryn. Days and nights of a fear that was almost paralyzing.Knowing that God was in control but fear still snuck in and it still does we are only human, so weather Maddie EVER stays in the nursery, or how long it takes to put her in her own bed or her own room,those things will be left up to the parents.We will stand on the sidelines to cheer and to praise GOD for each breath she takes....you don't know us,as I said I don't know why you would say such hurtful things to Kathryn,but WE will be PRAYING for you.GOD knows your heart and the bitterness there; for your own sake I pray you will let him heal you.Joyce Bartlett, Madelyn Kate's Great Grand Mother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn,
    She is absolutely precious. Snuggle her close. She's only that little once.
    Love you,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a phenomenal mommy to that baby girl. Keep up the good work! I have always loved dressing my girls up too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so cute with that medicine bottle! I have the same issues with Emma. I still can't get her to sleep all night in her own bed. It starts out in her bed, but she always ends up with me. All well, in God's time it will happen(hopefully before this new baby comes in October!).
    I knew someone would say something rude about her being in bed with you, they sure took that bait!--but surprise, they are not her parents and even though they may read about her, they have NO IDEA what you have to go through as her mom and dad. Just know you are doing what is right for YOUR family-no one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong! Lots of love, hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter