Thursday, May 20, 2010

a lot in one (long) post

"The family should be a closely knit group. The home should be a self-contained shelter of security; a kind of school where life’s basic lessons are taught; and a kind of church where God is honored; a place where wholesome recreation and simple pleasures are enjoyed."

--Billy Graham

I read that quote a couple of days ago and I cannot get it off of my mind. I think I might even find a way to display it in our home.

There has been one word that I feel like the Lord has been whispering in to the depths of my heart for nearly a year now. Intentional. Every aspect of any area of my life that I feel strongly about comes back to that word. Not the least of which is my family. I desire to be intentional in everything.

When I read that quote by Billy Graham, I know that the only way to achieve that is to live intentionally.

I know that I probably over used that word (intentional-in case you didn't follow) in the last few sentences, but this is one of those things that has really been on my heart a lot (over the course of the last year) especially in the last few weeks.

I have realized that the only way to achieve the desires the Lord places in my heart it is to be more (you guessed it) intentional in trying to do so.

I could ramble about this for quite some time. Days even. Many blogs worth. It's not necessary though. In my heart I know the convictions that I feel. I just needed to jot it down here to remind myself.

Sometimes living intentionally is tough. A bit more time consuming. I know that.

It's rewards are that much greater.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday morning Madelyn and I stopped by the last MOPS meeting of the semester. I cannot believe it's over for now. It was a spa day for all the moms! Since I had the full spa treatment last Friday with one of the student's from church, I just stopped by to say 'Hi' and take a card to my mentor mom. She is a phenomenal woman.

After that Madelyn and I ran a couple of errands which had to include Target. I actually returned something and did not purchase anything in it's place. My little buddy that works there was shocked and actually asked me if "everything was alright". "Perfect", I said. "Just don't need anything." (I was actually a little shocked myself at the amount of self control I exhibited as I walked through all the adorable summer dresses they have for the munchkin. I checked out their collection of baby gates for the stairs and quickly realized there were many more options than I imagined and some measuring would need to take place before a purchase is made.

Next on the agenda was meeting my sister-in-law, sister and hubby for lunch at Los Gueros. Rachel had never been before so I felt honored to be involved in her first meal at one of our favorite lunch spots.

MK really needed to rest up a little before we made our way out to the church so we went home to take a nap. Before she was ready to snooze, she showed off her skills and pulled up on the back door.

PRECIOUS.

I cannot believe she is big enough, strong enough, or old enough to do that. Why won't time just stand still so I can breath deep and take it all in??


She did awesome in the nursery at church and loved watching all of the big kids. All the wee ones are combined on Wednesday nights because none of the rooms are full enough to have all of the different age group's classes open. We snuck out a little early to go visit with a group of ladies that Linda (my amazing MOPS mentor mom) does a Bible study with in her home. Madelyn was so good despite being ridiculously tired and hungry! I have realized more than ever lately that we have an amazing baby. She is SO good all the time. I am praying her laid back personality continues :)

Once we got home from church, Brad came over to have dinner and hang out. Madelyn took to him rather quickly!
I didn't get a picture or video (and I am kicking myself now) of it, but Brad would blow on Madelyn's face and after a couple of blows she caught on and would brace herself and squint her eyes. It was so cute.
Do you think she has found a new buddy or what??
She didn't want to go to sleep because she didn't want to miss anything! Wednesdays are usually late nights for her because she is totally thrown off her sleep schedule, but it was really late last night! Finally I just let her say goodnight (since she is capable of that now and all-ha) and took her to bed.

This morning we had so much fun hanging out with Jenna and her 3 boys at the Brookshires Wildlife Museum and Park. Kolson is about to turn one and a new walker at that so he was not as fond of sitting back in his stroller as Madelyn.
MK had her first swing experience and she loved it! I have been wanting to get her one of those Fischer Price swings that you can hang from a tree and this just solidified that.
How cute are they together?
I guess this means that she actually can play at the park now! Woo-hoo! Something else we can add to our list of daily activities!
I have more pictures and more words to share from today, but they will have to wait until tomorrow. Sleep is calling my name. Goodnight world.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for meeting us yesterday...it is always fun to see you and Maddie Kate! I LOVE that quote and was way convicted by the intentional thing...since I am not always that organized I tend to let time and opportunities pass me by without meaning too. Maybe we can hold each other accountalbe...choosing ways we want to be intentional each week! Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn,
    Madelyn is beautiful! I really want to come see her. Do you have a good day next week that I could come visit?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter