Monday, August 2, 2010

SEC: Student Evangelism Conference

Friday morning Madelyn was so funny when she was eating her breakfast. It was as if she couldn't decide what she wanted to eat first. She kept stuffing her wagon wheel (disturbing name for a kid's snack) and her bottle in her mouth at the same time.

It was pretty funny and I had to laugh every time I saw her do it.
At about lunch time my mom came over to spend the night with Madelyn while Luke and I took a group of students to the Student Evangelism Conference in Frisco. There were 22 of us in all. We had a great group!
One of the highlights for me...getting to see David Crowder in concert. Luke and I used to go see Crowder all the time in high school and college but haven't in a couple of years. I need to dig out one of our pictures with him and scan it. He's a pretty goofy looking guy, but we look like such youngens in the pictures too.
It was such a refreshing time of worship.
The Skit Guys were there and I was laughing so hard that my stomach hurt.
Another highlight of the trip, these girls and I played an awesome prank on Luke. I think this is the first time in seven years that I have been able to pull off a prank and really fool him. It was awesome. We scared him. He screamed like a girl. We laughed so hard.
After a few hours of sleep we made it back to the convention center for day two of the SEC.
It was so great to be able to go with the student ministry and have my arms free. Saturday morning I was talking to a woman who had a baby with her that looked to be about Madelyn's age. It really made me miss my girl. She was telling me that if the baby didn't come then her daughter couldn't have come. I assumed her daughter was a sponsor or a youth pastor's wife and maybe she didn't want to leave her or was breastfeeding. I was wrong. Her daughter was a student. A 13 year old student. Their story was nothing short of amazing, but my heart sank as she told me how she became pregnant at just 12 years old and had her baby three days after becoming a teenager. Being a mom is the most amazing feeling in the world, but I cannot imagine being a child who is mom to a child. I loved getting to talk to the Grandma and each day since, I have felt this urge to pray for them.
By mid morning I was so anxious to get home to Madelyn. We didn't make it to the house until nearly 6pm and she was asleep when I got there.
I wanted to snatch her up so bad but she was enjoying cuddling with her Aunt Rachel (who made it home from Egypt the day before). She had a great time with Grandma! When she finally woke up, she kept waving "bye-bye" to me. It's OK, I know that was code for, "I love you with all my heart Mommy and I missed you so much!"

1 comment:

  1. YEC (as it was called when we went)!!, David Crowder!!, The Skit Guys!!! I'm so envious! Reminds me of our summer days being in Student Ministry... good times. :) Hands down, The Skit Guys are the funniest group I've ever seen. And I'm glad you were able to pull a good prank on your hubby!

    I agree with your comment you left on my blog, we'd be friends in real life! I'm sure we probably crossed paths over the years at events and things and we just didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter