Sunday, October 17, 2010

longest week of my life

Saturday
Last Saturday I took Madelyn to the doctor because it seemed as though her reflux had been undeniably bothering her. I was thankful that our pediatrician was the one on call and there for the Saturday clinic. We have seen a couple of the others and when you have spent as much time with the doctor as we have, it's just so much nicer seeing the one that has seen your child through it all. She was chipper and playful and climbed all over the furniture.
I felt like such a failure when he said, "Gosh, her right ear is definitely infected!". I kept thinking about how she had acted the previous few days and couldn't come up with anything that would have led me to believe she was sick. We talked about the reflux and got the prescription for the ear infection.
After that, we met Luke at Chick-fil-A for some comfort food while we waited for the pharmacy to get her antibiotics ready.
We spent the rest of the day hanging out at the house cleaning and hanging out. Madelyn thought it was more fun to throw everything out of the pantry while I tried to clean everything up. The story of my life right there, folks. You know what though? It makes me smile every time and nine times out of ten I take a picture!
Sunday
It was obvious by Sunday that Madelyn's ear was really bothering her. We both stayed in our pajamas for the better part of the day and just played and read books in between naps. My mom came over to watch her while I took some family photos for a gorgeous family at the Children's Park.

She loves time with Grandma and I am so thankful that at this stage in our lives we are so class to willing (and free!!!) babysitters!
Monday
I was starting to get a little stir crazy by Monday morning but it was dreary so we couldn't even play in the yard. Madelyn seemed to be feeling well most of the day. She was extremely clingy, but very playful still.

She discovered that climbing IN the dishwasher was way better than just pulling everything out.
She cried out that night at about 11pm and when Luke went to check on her, she felt really warm. We took her temp and it wasn't that high. I honestly thought it was from two things: 1. teething 2. she was in long sleeves and pants snuggled under a big blanket and our room was hot.

We put her back to bed and she slept well through the night.

Tuesday
When Madelyn woke up feeling a little warm and looking very tired. Instead of climbing down from the bed and playing she just laid in my arms. Luke left for work at about 8am and Madelyn and I just snuggled in the recliner. At about 9am I took her temperature and it was around 101.3. At 10am it was 104.2. I called my mom because her breathing sounded very labored and she had not moved at all for most of the morning. After that I called the doctor's office and just about the time the nurse picked up, Madelyn started to have a seizure.
It was short and terrifying. I called 911 and she was taken by ambulance to the hospital. She pretty much laid on Luke or I the entire time we were there. They told us it was a febrile seizure (which was a huge relief) and we were discharged that evening. We were both SO tired. I'm not sure either of us moved that night when we went to bed.

Wednesday
The next morning we followed up with the pediatrician. While Madelyn still didn't feel well, she looked 100 times better than she did the day before!

Waiting to see the doctor + sleepy, sick one year old = no fun at all.

Waiting to see the doctor + sleepy, sick one year old + Netflix for iPhone = bearable.
We found out she had a common virus on top of the ear infection and that just further confirmed that her seizure was caused by her fever.

Thursday
I was in total shock that Madelyn was so playful and back to herself just a few days after our hospital ordeal! She gladly modeled a clip and dress that I made for the craft fair. Since she was feeling better (not totally well, but better), she spent some time with Luke while I got busy sewing and making things for our craft fair.
Friday
Madelyn and Daddy hung out all day. They ran a few errands, played together, took naps and enjoyed their time together. I was so thankful because I was way behind on getting things ready for the craft fair. I spent the day upstairs with my sewing machine trying to do some last minute things that I had put off.

I stayed up WAY too late just about every night sewing. As much as I know that's not the most ideal, I am not one of those people that can get it done during the day. Madelyn loves to actually play with me now, so if I am sewing she right there trying to press on my foot pedal.

God really began a work in my heart this week that is almost too big for words. Maybe some day I will be able to articulate it. Maybe not. Either way, I feel challenged, burdened, blessed and as though I am way outside of my comfort zone. It's exciting and scary. I'm a control freak and planner by nature and for the first time in my life truly realize how many times that has stopped me dead in my tracks from being obedient. I am looking forward to the days ahead (and glad that the longest week of my life is behind us!!).

1 comment:

  1. poor baby! i hope she's doing better. you and luke are such incredible parents! i love seeing how God is working in your lives and what He is doing. His plans are so much better than ours, no matter how difficult the circumstances. Maddie Kate is such a trooper! She's one strong girl, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter