Thursday, October 14, 2010

re·sil·ient

From a seizure, ambulance ride, day at the hospital barely moving a muscle...to walking around outside...
all in the span of three days.

Talk about resilience.

Tuesday was one of those days I'd love to add to my "never remember again" category. Madelyn woke up for a brief period that morning with a 101.3 fever. She spent the next three hours after she initially woke up on my chest. She was completely still when she was awake and breathed very heavily when she was asleep. I knew she didn't feel well. When her breathing became more labored I decided to call my mom who advised me to call the doctor. I was on hold for several minutes during which I took her temperature again. 104.2. Then the nurse picked up. As she was saying, "hello", Madelyn began to seize. It was by far the longest 15 seconds of my life. It felt like 10 minutes. I immediately hung up with the nurse and called 911.

After tests, blood work, a spinal tap, and chest x-rays, we were told that she had a febrile seizure because her temperature spiked so high so quickly. The fever was caused by a common virus that Madelyn had (on top of the right ear infection).

It was the best possible outcome for what took place. Now, two days later she is nearly back to herself. Her throat still hurts and we have still been fighting the fever, but our resilient little one has bounced right back to her always-on-the-go ways! Thank you, Jesus!

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that is SOOOO scary!!! I am so glad she is okay! Praying that it never happens again. So glad she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary when they get fevers so young. I'm so glad she is OK. I can't even imagine. Bless you all for the trials you endure. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nephew had febrile seizures from age 1 up until he was about 5, but only got them when he would suddenly spike in temperature. Its scary to watch. I hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so scary but our God is good! (cute dress she's wearing, mommy!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor baby. Such a scary situation. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Praise God that she is okay and almost back to herself. Those fevers are so scary and are no joke. Zoe's Dr. told me a 105 fever was normal, I was thinking to myself, are you crazy. I would be terrified. Hope she is 100% back to herself in no time. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter