Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Shhhhhh.... Don't tell Kathryn

So you have to promise not to tell Kathryn but I (Luke aka husband and daddy of the cute girl you see here on the blog) have hijacked her blog for the night. I just had to stop by here to tell all you that I have the most incredible woman for a wife. She is the strongest and most compassionate person I have ever met.

Today was a pretty crazy day and I'm sure that Kathryn will share more about it some time. Last night Maddie Kate woke up with a fever and we just thought it was because she was teething. So we put her back to bed. When we got up this morning she still had the fever and from what Kathryn told me she just slept in Kathryn's arms most of the morning. That is not normal. She will barely sit in our laps to finish a book because she is all about walking around and playing in her kitchen. She also likes to run from daddy now, I don't know if she just thinks it's fun or that maybe with my beard she thinks that I am a goofy looking monster. So needless to say our little one was not feeling like her normal self. Sometime around 10 am Madelyn had a short seizure. Kathryn said it wasn't a very long one but I know for a mommy to see that, it must have felt like forever. So Madelyn had her 2nd ride in an ambulance to the hospital where they ran some tests and they did a spinal tap on our little girl. She was a trooper. Everything came back normal from all the tests and what our wonderful pedi doctor said was that most likely the seizure was caused by the fever and that this can happen with about 5% of kids. So today was not what any of us thought it would be but God showed me something today. He reminded me about 1 of the many reasons why I love my wife and why I fell in love with her in the 1st place.

The whole time we were at the hospital Kathryn kept saying I feel so bad for her, I wish she didn't have to go through this and I wish it was me instead of her. As I would hear her make little comments throughout the day I was reminded about how compassionate and selfless she is. Kathryn and I have been on quite a few mission trips together and have had a lot of opportunities to serve together. On every trip she would just come alive with the chance to show love to the kids by playing games with them and telling them stories about Jesus. She also has a heart to nurture and care for others. (I know this to be true because she takes care of her absent minded husband a lot.) I remember one time on a trip to Mexico she had the chance to serve at an orphanage. What broke her heart the most was that their were bed babies who no one wanted and there were not enough workers to meet the needs of all the little babies and they would just lay in their cribs for hours with out a touch of love from another human being. Kathryn was able to sit and hold some of these babies and through a simple touch was able to be the touch of Jesus. As I watched my wife care for our child and sing to her in the ER and tell Madelyn about how daddy needs to start saving his pennies so that he can take his girls to Disney, I saw why I love her. I saw why God created her. I saw God through her. I also saw that being a mom is a crazy hard job.

This is my wife: a woman of compassion, who cares for others far above herself. A woman who shows the love of God by actions more than words. A woman who I am blessed to be married to and a woman I know Madelyn will look up to.

To my pretty lady, I love you so very much.

Love,
Luke

6 comments:

  1. You guys are incredible. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have tears after rading this. First for your little girl. I pray that she is better soon and her little body can fight off all of this stuff happening to her.
    Second for the beautiful love that you two have for each other. It is beautiful to see two people so perfect for each other, as well as perfect for that angel God has blessed you with.
    Best Wishes
    Kristy Warren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out about your blog thru Kelly's Korner! My brother had a seizure like that when he was a baby...he is now 44 years old! I will be praying for your little girl & the love you have for your wife is amazing! In Prayer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through Kelly's Korner and I can't wait to read more. My, almost 8 year old son, had his first seizure at 10 hours old. He still has seizures that usually last about an hour and he has to have IV Ativan to stop them. His EEG's have all come back 'normal'. His MRI shows a 'static' injury (scar tissue) from insufficient oxygen during birth. I tell you all this because I can tell we have some things in common -not that I would have ever chosen this journey, I do appreciate the things God is teaching me through it. I will pray for your family! I wish you all the happiness and love in the world:)
    If you ever want to converse about anything, please email me ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe she will be upset with you at all for hijacking her blog after this sweet post. You are too sweet. I've been reading this blog since Madelyn was born. Have been praying and will continue to pray Madelyn stays healthy and doesn't have anymore "episodes".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter