Monday, August 3, 2009

Counting Down

As I sit in bed, envious of my sweet hubby sleeping soundly next to me, I am reminded of a conversation I had with my sister-in-law a few months back. We were talking about the miracle of birth. How fascinating and painful it can be. There is one thing that she said that has really stuck with me: "It's like God lets you forget all of the pain after you see your sweet little baby and hold them in you arms". I am clinging to this statement. Clinging to the hope that this could possibly be true. Better yet, clinging to the hope that the pain is just not so bad...that I could actually forget it!!

You see, this week marks the 30th week of our pregnancy. 30 weeks of carrying this life around inside of me. 30 weeks of anticipation (well more like 27 if you want to get technical). Up until this point it seems I have been counting up. Counting up the weeks as we reached milestone after milestone. First, counting up to 5 weeks, when we first saw our baby's heart beating on the ultrasound. Then counting up to 10 weeks, when we first heard what that beat sounded like. Next we found ourselves counting up to 12 weeks, when we again would see how quickly the little "Baby Blueberry", as the kids in my class would later affectionately refer to it, sprouted arms and legs and began to look like a baby. We anxiously counted up to 20 weeks when we would find out if "Baby Blueberry" was in fact a he or a she. From the day we have found out we were expecting, we have been counting up.

This morning, I find myself counting down. Counting down the 10 short weeks until we see her face to face. 10 weeks until I become a MOM! 10 weeks until we experience something so amazing, only God could have designed it. 10 weeks until I find out just how accurate my sweet sister-in-law's statement is. You know? This one I mentioned I earlier:
"It's like God lets you forget all of the pain after you see your sweet little baby and hold them in you arms". Now I know I am starting to sound like a complete weeny (which I probably am)...but knowing that I almost ALWAYS end up doing things the most complicated way possible (just ask anyone who knows me well)...I am a bit nervous about the whole birthing part of giving birth.

I have heard story after story lately of ladies who have "barely made it to the hospital" or "thought they were just having gas pains" or "it was like I sneezed" and BOOM! there was baby. I have also been reminded that my precious mom labored for 36 hours with my brother without progressing at all, eventually leading to a c-section. To add to that, I recall getting a phone call one evening from my mom saying that above mentioned sister-in-law was in labor, then waiting anxiously that night, and the next day, and into the wee hours of the next morning, before I finally met my first niece.

Needless to say, in the midst of my excitement, I am somewhat fearful.

God woke me with this verse this morning from Philippians 4: 6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I guess He is trying to teach me something.



See you soon sweet girl! Please be gentle to your mommy!

*Kathryn

2 comments:

  1. It is the most wonderful experience ever. I would have 5 or 6 more just for that one moment when you see them for the first time. Marlo is right...whatever the pain, or how long it takes none of that matters once you see your little one. 10 weeks...woohoo I can't wait to see Maddie Kate (can I call her that?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO exciting! I remember getting to 30 weeks and it just feels so close to the end..my babies were born at 38 weeks and 37 weeks...so you may not even have 10 weeks left! I love your blog by the way..so cute! From the moment you see her face/hear her cry, nothing else in the world matters! I can't say I have completely forgotten the pain, but it is nothing in comparison to the joy that comes from it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter