Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

Yesterday and today have been filled with relaxation, laughter, reflection, food, family time and presents. Madelyn is blessed to have two sets of Grandparents that love her dearly, three adoring aunts, and one special uncle in her life. As we have gathered as families these last two days, both my dad and Luke's dad have reminded us all how blessed we are for Madelyn's little life, for her health, and that she is a new addition to our family. It's something that might have gone unsaid had she been perfectly healthy...but neither family will take the health of a child for granted again.

This morning I woke up really early to get the cinnamon rolls out and let them rise...
Mrs. Rhodes giant cinnamon rolls are the best-but you have to remember to set them out 6 hours in advance. I almost always forget...good thing there is a quick bake method. The last time I made these was last year for breakfast on Christmas morning with Luke's family. I guess it might just turn in to one of our little family traditions together.

After breakfast Luke and his dad spent some time checking out Luke's new Taylor guitar. He got it last week and I think he's in love :)
Then we all gathered in the living room to open presents...
Isn't it funny how when you are little you wake up so early (like 4 or 5am when I was growing up) to see what Santa brought you, but the older you get, the anticipation of the presents doesn't seem quite as great?? (So maybe the anticipation is as great but it looks sort of silly for a 24 year old to run throughout the house waking everyone up, screaming and exclaiming, "It's Christmas everyone!! It's time to wake up!!" If that wasn't socially awkward, I might still do it!!)
Next year will be a whole new story in our house. I am confident we won't be waiting until 10 or 11am to watch Madelyn tear into her gifts! I am also sure she won't be sitting back watching the action either. It's going to be so much fun!
Madelyn got quite the loot between yesterday and today. I will have to take pics of it all so someday she will be able to see the cute presents she was given on her first Christmas! I think it's fun to see how families have their own little ways of doing things. The traditions are what make it so much memorable. My family always reads the Christmas story on Christmas Eve and when we were little we always begged to open a present or two after that-my parent's kindly complied-ha! Then on Christmas morning it was a little bit of order mixed with a lot of chaos. My dad would pass the presents out one at a time -ish- but everyone usually had something in their hands to open. Now that we are grown, we celebrate on Christmas Eve with the reading of the Christmas story and still a little bit of order mixed with a lot of chaos. It's great. With Luke's family, Kenda passes out the presents and then we go around taking turns opening them up. You get to see what everyone gets as they open them. Lots of fun. Luke and I are going to have to decide what we want to do with Madelyn...I guess we have 12 months to decide :)
Madelyn and Luke. My two favorite Christmas presents.



This afternoon we lounged around, played pass the baby, watched movies, and just enjoyed the company. Luke and I got busy in the kitchen preparing Christmas dinner...prime rib (oh.my.goodness.) with sauteed mushrooms, broccoli cheese casserole, green bean bacon wraps, jello salad, rolls, salad, and cherry pie. It was so yummy.

After dinner we sat around and watched "Maddie Vision" as her Papa likes to call it. He says it's better than anything on TV...he is right about that.
You can see by the picture above and the one below (well sort of) that Madelyn wore a bow in her hair for the first time tonight. It was super cute-yet awkward at the same time. I am so used to her headbands that it sort of looked funny. She is just so darn cute...
After a little while, we put her headband back on...
I am totally bummed I forgot to read her the last page in her advent book today. I guess my dad covered it last night when we read Luke chapter two as a family. This entire month Madelyn and I have been reading through her children's advent book. Each day holds a piece of the story. Today's piece the most important of them all...

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11

Merry Christmas, Madelyn. You make our favorite time of year so much more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter