Monday, January 4, 2010

passion

I have always had a hard time narrowing down which pictures I want to post.
By hard time, I mean really hard time.
It's just about as hard as trying to take fewer pictures...
ya know, limiting myself to the "really good ones"?
I gave up on all that just about as soon as I started.
The answer to my problem?
Collages and external hard drives.
Thank you, Photoshop.
Thank you husband for my external hard drive.

When I look at those pictures so many words come to mind.
Pure.
beautiful.
Loved.
happy.
Life.
Blessing.
playful.
Daughter.

I have always had this great love for words.
I have had an equal love all of my life for pictures.

I remember the first time I wrote a paper and entered it in a contest.
I was in the second grade.
My teacher was Mrs. Rowland.
It was the "Reflections Contest".
I got second place for my division.
I was so proud.

That same year I entered the photography category too.
My mom took me all over Tyler letting me take pictures.
I took one of graffiti on a little building by railroad tracks.
I got first place for my division.
I thought I was hot stuff.

Since I was old enough to write, I have loved it.
From the day my parents bought me my first camera,
much like this one...

I have loved taking pictures.

My parents always supported me too.
I cannot even begin to tell you how many rolls of film
(that contained silly pictures of me and my friends...
my messy room...gum on a sidewalk...
you know, the important things in life?)
that my dad took to Wal-Mart and developed for me.


I have about 20 photo boxes stuffed FULL
(all from my early years)
to prove it.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love to take pictures.

Since the day I started taking pictures,
there was never a time that I "took a break".

As for my writing...I had a "lull", if you will.
A funk of sorts.
I wrote papers for college.
I wrote little love notes to my hubby.
I tried to journal.
My pen was always dry.
My mind always blank.
I did not have much to say.
Or if I did, I could not get it out.
Luke always encouraged me to write.
He knew how much I loved to in high school.
He also noticed when I stopped.
Despite his efforts, I just could not do it.
Strange, maybe?

Then something happened inside of me.
Literally.
When I was put on bed rest while pregnant...
every time I sat down to write, the words just flowed.

My pen was no longer dry.

Although I may not be the greatest writer,
that is not what is important.

Writing has been so many things for me.
Reflective.
Therapeutic.
Energizing.
Fun.
Record keeping.

It was as if something came alive again inside of me.
I can't explain what happened.
I'm not really sure.
All I know is that God has used this child,
even as she was growing in my belly,
to restore a passion of mine I once thought to be dead.


She has restored one passion...
and increased another.

I never knew how much I really did love to take pictures,
until I had a subject as wonderful as this one.

I may not be the greatest photographer,
but again, that is not what is important.

Taking pictures has also done so many things for me.
Too many to list in fact.

I am so thankful that in all the ways God has used little Madelyn's life...
leading a stranger to Him,
bringing joy to our family,
and increasing the prayer lives of many
just to name a few...
I am thankful that in all the ways God has chosen to use little Madelyn's life...
that He also chose to restore a passion of mine
and increase another.

Thank you, Lord. Thank you, Madelyn.


2 comments:

  1. Love! Great post -- so sad we didn't get to meet with you guys - we were just exhausted and got home about 9:00 on Saturday night. Hope to see you soon! So glad God has renewed your love for writing, He has used it to bless thousands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been truly blessed!! Thanks for sharing your blessings!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter