Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cereal, really??

This morning I needed to get out of the house and walk around. Madelyn and I packed up and headed to the mall. I thought she would sleep for a few hours once we left the house considering she did not get her usual 12 hours of sleep in. I was wrong. Despite the lack of sleep she was still a smiley girl. She had a false alarm when we were walking in to the mall. Everyone was looking around trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. It sort of made me laugh a little.
I love when she laughs so hard that she curls her body up. It is so precious. This afternoon she didn't even really nap that well (unusual for my little one who naps for 3 hours at lunch every day and then an hour or so mid afternoon). It was kind of funny trying to figure out what to do with all that awake time. Good thing she loves her exersaucer.
She definitely has some room to grow into it though.
I have this thing where I feel guilty if she is awake and I am not constantly talking to her. I know that is silly and that it would be better for her if I left her with a little time where she is not being entertained, but then I feel bad. My mind works over time some days and over analyzes everything.
My sister picked Em up from school today and brought her to the house. I am in complete awe of what a precious girl she has become. She is so big and full of personality.
Witty and charming.
Sassy and sweet.

I won't ever tell Allison this, but Emily has such a special place in my heart that no other niece or nephew will ever hold. She will always be "the first" or "the original" as she calls herself sometimes. The one we were able to love on and spoil with sleepovers and shopping trips. Not that we won't have that with Allison, but it won't be the same as it was with Emily. She was the first baby that I ever felt that strong connection and love for. Our whole family saw the world through a fresh perspective when she came along.

Tonight she asked me, "...if I remembered that time I got married at Green Acres and she was rose dropper girl?". "Yes, Emily. I remember that time."
Today was National Blueberry Pancake Day. Our house loves any excuse for blueberry pancakes. Naturally, we chose to celebrate. Since Emily was over it was that much more fun because she is our pancake buddy! We tried out the Pancake Pen from Williams-Sonoma that I bought while in OKC and it did not disappoint. (Emily had already eaten dinner but that did not stop her from devouring a few pancakes.)
I was in shock when we returned home from Madelyn's four month appointment on Monday with the usual packet of papers that they give at each well child checkup because most of the packet was devoted to feeding her cereal.

I thought, "
Nah...they don't do that until they are six months old. This has got to be wrong." Sure enough, they were right. I called the nurse to ask her about it since the doctor had not mentioned anything (I am sure it was because we went over treatment options for the reflux due to the recent apnea and things of that nature...not just the usual four month stuff), and she gave us the go ahead.

Can you believe my baby girl is old enough to eat cereal??

Since then I have debated when would be the best time for Madelyn to introduce her to cereal. Not knowing if it would have an impact on her reflux, I wanted to be cautious. I was also sort of sad thinking about the fact that soon she will not rely solely on me for her nutrition. Silly of me, I know. Again...my mind over thinks most things. She still seemed hungry after feedings for most of the day so Luke and I decided to give it a try tonight.

I have to say, Luke looked SO sad when we were getting ready. I think it was hard for him to accept that she was old enough and ready (according to all the signs they tell you to watch for) for cereal. His little girl is growing up too fast for him I think.

In goes Madelyn's very first bight of cereal...
Do you think she liked it?? Haha. We were laughing hysterically for most of the feeding.
Eventually she warmed up to it a bit, but the faces she made while trying to figure it out were hilarious.
I have never seen a baby with so much expression before. She is constantly raising and lowering her eyebrows at us and I am convinced she rolled her eyes at me this morning when I was acting goofy trying to get her to smile. If I put a caption with this picture...
it would be..."Seriously, Dad. Is that really necessary? Enough with the cameras. I don't take pictures of you when you eat."

Luke was juggling the video camera and the DSLR at the same time!

We still had a happy camper when we were finished, so I think I would call our first night of cereal a success.
The best part about it...she hasn't had any added reflux problems so far. She is snoozing in her nap nanny. I have a feeling she will sleep really well tonight considering she was off her schedule today.
I am looking forward to a Friday at home with my guy, our little girl and not a lot going on.

4 comments:

  1. Grandma and I just read your blog and think these are some of the cutest pics ever!!!!

    Love, Nancy and Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she is just precious! First bite of cereal is really funny and their reactions to each new food is just priceless. I enjoy those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, her expressions are precious! She's getting so big! First solids are a HUGE deal. It's the first of many proud-yet-heartbroken moments we endure as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look on her face when it first went in her mouth- so cute!
    Don't you LOVE the pancake pen? We got one at Christmas time and it is the most fun I have ever had making pancakes. I am envisioning teaching my child the alphabet with it.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter