Saturday, January 23, 2010

Dear Kirk's Mom...

This morning when I saw this...I was thinking, "It's a good thing Madelyn decided to rest in place of her usual two hour play time on the floor, because we are going to have a busy day." We did indeed have a busy day, but it did not phase the little one at all. She slept through both outings!

Even after taking a morning nap, this was what she looked like the entire TWO HOURS we spent at Super Target this afternoon. I think I embarrassed my cousin when I asked to get a picture taken in front of the Jelly Bean display. I am sure they have a book started up here about the "Texas cousins". I bet it's titled, "You know you are from Texas when...". The most recent entry would be...you whip out your Digital SLR in Super Target to get a picture with your sleeping baby in front of the candy section.If you know me at all, you know my favorite place is Target. The Super Target we went to had the BEST baby section. It also had lots of sales and fun things to look at that our Target does not carry. I think Tyler needs a Super Target! Although I am confident that if Tyler had a Super Target, we would not call on the cashier we had the pleasure of meeting today to help train employees for it's opening.

His name was Kirk. According to him, "Kirk may be my name...but most people call me Captain." Kirk was a tad (I say "tad" in order to be polite) full of himself in the way that made you laugh at every cheesy and ridiculous thing he said...and each laugh unfortunately fueled his ego enough to come up with yet another equally ridiculous thing to say. This encounter has led me to write Kirk's mom a little letter.

Dear Kirk's Mom,
It seems you may have missed some things when it comes to teaching your son how to interact with the opposite sex. I have compiled a short list (trust me it could be longer) of things you may choose to address for his own safety before he heads off to college.
  1. When talking to three 20-somethings, please let your almost 18 year old know that it may be offensive to them to hear him refer to Star Trek as a show from "you guy's generation". The last time I checked, Star Trek was a product of the 60's (leaving me to guess that you were even a wee tyke when it debuted).
  2. While you two are discussing age, please also inform your son that when he asks a lady her age (first mistake) and she responds with one that only makes her six years his senior, it might be it is incredibly offensive to her if he drops his jaw then exclaims, "Well I guess you aren't that much older than me" as if he is in utter shock.
  3. I know that this is difficult to teach any teenager, but please show him how to properly place a garment that is on a hanger in to a sack. Flipping it around your wrist violently and shoving it in to a bag is not exactly something people want to see just after they have paid for an item. It may also lead to Carpal Tunnel and we would hate that for your son.
  4. On that note...let him know that an appropriate response to a customer's concern over such handling of the clothes is not, "My thing is, you'll get over it". Although when he said that, he thought he was cute because we were laughing...we were not laughing with him...I hate to admit, we were laughing at him.

    While your son has great potential (I do not count anyone out or as a lost cause), I think the four items listed above are a good starting point before you allow him to talk to strangers again. I know you have probably tried your hardest and done all that you know to do, so in that case please refer him to the movie, "Hitch"...it may do him some good.

    From one mother to another, Kathryn
Now that we have gotten that out the way...on to the rest of our day.

Madelyn has loved spending time in her MeeMaw's lap this week. Here they are playing with Madelyn's new lap top...
Apparently people will do anything to get a baby to laugh. My cousin Beth and my sister Rachel were having fun trying to entertain Madelyn from across the room...
After a visit from Aunt Nancy when we made it back from our Target outing, we went to Pei Wei for dinner. Favorite store and restaurant all in one day. It was pretty much amazing.

Crazy cousins...
Madelyn slept from the time we left the house until we returned home from dinner. I am thinking Luke and I need to take her on a dinner date and see if she does that well for us!!

When we made it back to the house she enjoyed being loved on by her Great Aunt Sharon, Great Uncle Mike and MeeMaw Fee of course...
Madelyn had to get a picture with the one who coined her "Mad Kat" nickname, Uncle Mike. Notice the bottom left picture in the collage above where Uncle Mike was trying to get Madelyn to smile for the camera by making "birds" above it!!

Madelyn and I with the Ammons (minus John) plus Grandma...
Beth was trooper and braved changing an explosively poopy diaper! It was pretty impressive. AND she did it with a smile on her face...video to come at a later date!
I am sad to be packing up our things tonight but cannot wait to see Luke. I know Madelyn cannot wait either because she all but eats the phone when she hears her Daddy's voice.

Tomorrow my little princess will be four months old. She is growing so fast right before our eyes and I am so glad that she was able to make her first trip to OKC at such a young age. I know we will do it again soon!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad she's doing better!!! Can't wait to hear how she slept thru the night after napping so well!! Nolan and I just LUV Target too!! You should've seen his face the first time he stepped into a Super Target!! That's my boy!! Sorry about your cashier but I LOL'd reading your letter!! Have a safe trip home!! Nolan and I need to come meet Madelyn now that she's getting out and about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having Maddie withdrawal pains!!!!!!!!!

    P.S. I miss Kathryn and Rachel too :)

    Love,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter