Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Day

It's official. All the Christmas decorations are officially boxed up (in the most organized way they have ever been) and put away until next year. There is something sort of magical about houses at Christmas time, with all the lights and garland and the tree of course. It's kind of sad to see them go. At the same time, it's good to be on our way to getting our house back in order.

Luke and I rearranged our family room yesterday. Just a few little changes but I love it. We have a lot of "furniture shuffling" in our future around here. I like it because it gives you a new, fresh feeling. I hate it because the furniture we are about to shuffle looks great just where it is. As of right now, Madelyn's nursery is upstairs. There was not really an ideal room on our floor to turn in to a nursery, so we opted for the master bedroom (which is like a loft) on the top floor. I love it. It's big. Open. Decorated for the little one. Remember? Click here to take a look at it as it was a work in progress! When I was pregnant I was not thrilled about the idea of a baby being on a different floor than us (neither was Luke for that matter), but I was well aware that we would more than likely keep her in our room for the first several months anyway.

Not only am I not thrilled about it now, it just ain't happenin' at my house. Not for the next 15 years at least. Ha. I kept having this recurring dream that Madelyn's monitor went off...it took us a second to wake up and realize what the noise was...sprinting down the hall and up the stairs...around the corner and to the crib. When the monitor goes off she has not taken a breath for 20 seconds or so. Adding another 20-30 seconds to that is not a risk I am willing to take.

So for now, we shuffle furniture. We are going to have to be creative considering our library/office was definitely not designed to be a bed room. It has these huge built in bookshelves (that are amazing for a home office) but they occupy the only wall that is not otherwise occupied by a closet, a door, or a cutout window with ledge. We are going to have to be creative. It's going to be tough but I think our furniture shuffling skills will prevail.

It's hard for me to even imagine her sleeping in another room. On top of the "normal" bouts of first-time-mom-nervousness...I think I have a little added anxiety.

Yesterday Madelyn slept all day. I'm talking, woke up to eat and went back to sleep. Sometimes she didn't even open her eyes-she'd just let know it was time, eat and then sleep some more. She was awake for maybe 3 1/2 hours yesterday. Total. Most of it in the late evening hours. This cold has worn her out. I was kind of dreading going to bed because I just knew she would be wide awake. Well she wasn't. The little booger slept and slept and slept. However...she was so gassy and wiggly and fussy in her sleep, that I did not sleep at all. Finally, at about 4:45 this morning, we went out to the recliner. I thought she might rest easier. She did and so did I.

When she did finally wake up yesterday, I snapped a few shots of her in her "little black dress" (that's what her shirt says). Do you remember that bow she is wearing?? Her daddy tried it out for her before she was born.

Recently, Madelyn has started to hold her rattles and shake them around a bit. Occasionally she will whack herself on the head which she has decided she does not like. Ha!
The best part about her waking up for a bit last night was that she got to skype with lots of family; first up...her Gigi, Papa and Great Granny in McAllen...her MeeMaw Fee in OKC...my cousin Lisa and two of her boys from Illinois that were in OKC visiting my Grandma...and her Great Aunt Sharon and Great Uncle Mike in Edmond, OK. Phew. There was a lot of skyping going on around here.

I loved being productive around the house with my hubby, cuddling with sweet Madelyn, and talking to family via skype. It was definitely a great start to 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I bought my parents (that live 4hrs away), my step-daughter (that is 4 hrs away), Robert (for when he works in Odessa weeks at a time) and myself web-cams for Christmas! Need to get mine out and hooked up!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter