Wednesday, January 13, 2010

special visitors


Madelyn LOVES to play on her back. She could lay there and coo and kick and swat at her toys all day long if I would let her. She grabs at her rattles, picks them up and tosses them around. Sometimes she drops them...and they land on her head. It doesn't seem to phase her though. If you try to take them away so you can pick her up...she is not happy with you. When this happens, she whips out her pouty lip and looks at you like you've just hurt her feelings.

Over the last several days she has played on her back for over an hour at a time, entertaining herself for the majority of it. I have noticed however that her reflux seems to really be acting up. It's so frustrating because I know she doesn't need to sit in her swing and bouncy seat (or in my arms) all day, but I don't want to do something that I know will hurt her. Sometimes I prop her up on her boppy pillow but she always wiggles her way down from it.

Hopefully we are getting closer to the "peak" the doctor told us she may reach sometime between 4-7 months where the reflux won't get any worse, but will begin to get better.

Madelyn looks so cute in this bib that a sweet family I used to babysit for bought for her.

Considering the amount of drool this little one has started to produce, she pretty much needs to wear a bib or the top half of her shirt is always soaked.

This afternoon I put her in her space saver reclining high chair (a definite baby must have in my opinion) in the kitchen with me while I did the dishes and prepared my lunch. One second she was laughing and playing and I snapped a picture with my phone. By the time I looked up, she was out. It was pretty adorable.

So I just reclined the seat and she took her nap in the chair today. That's why it's a must have.

Tonight after church Madelyn had some special visitors. I say that because I am not at all in denial about the fact that most people come over to see her, not us :)

Emily and Christa were in the student ministry in Martin's Mill. At the risk of sounding cliche, I feel as though they have grown up before our very eyes. Emily was in junior high and Christa had just finished her freshman year of high school when we met them. It's hard to believe Christa is finishing up her sophomore year in college.

Madelyn stayed up late to meet them.

Emily and her mom came to sit with us for a while one day while Madelyn was in the NICU. We were so blessed to have the support of families like theirs (although most of that is a blur to me now-it is appreciated in a way words simply cannot express).

Madelyn was so sleepy, so we put on her pj's in case she conked out.

Luke used to always give the girls' mom a hard time to say the least (and has always been pretty protective of them) about letting them date (or socialize with boys for that matter). She would always say, "I can't wait until you have a girl of your own someday...I pray you have 4 girls." She was one of the first people that we thought of when we found out we were having a girl! I am sure Luke will always volunteer to be a chaperone at school dances (if he even lets her go) and won't let Madelyn date until she is 26 and I am confident Gwen will be glad to repay all the harassing he did to her in due time.

Madelyn usually takes a long nap around lunch time and most days I choose to hold her and snuggle her close during that time rather than lay her down. I cherish those moments. I try not to get on the computer or watch TV, but savor the feeling of her in my arms and pray for her future. I have often prayed that she grow to be a young lady, smart and passionate, full of personality and a love for her Savior, as Emily and Christa have. They are special to us and we are so proud of who they have become (hopefully Madelyn was taking notes...just kidding...well sort of).

I know these two are such remarkable young ladies because they have parents who have directed them in the way of truth and trusted them to the Lord.

"Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
"
-Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter