Thursday, October 8, 2009

2 weeks

Today our little princess is 2 weeks old! Each little milestone makes me realize how blessed we are to have her in our lives. It is hard to believe that just one week ago Madelyn was only breathing with the help of a ventilator. Today she is resting in my arms...breathing deeply on her own. She seems to be changing a little every day. Her sweet cheeks are filling out again. We noticed her birthmark on her right foot for the first time today (both feet have been blue basically from birth from all the bruising due to all the heel sticks and IV attempts). She grunts all the time. And she looks back at you with her big beautiful eyes.

Some of her favorite things to do include (but are not limited to):
  • snuggling up to just about anyone who will hold her (I tell myself she likes it when Luke and I hold her the most...truth is...she just likes to be held)
  • sucking on her pacifiers
  • eating
  • pooping
  • being swaddled
  • sitting in her bouncy seat (when we can stand to put her down long enough to try it out)
  • eating
  • wearing hats (even if she didn't like them I am determined that she will...so far so good)
  • being held
  • eating
  • sleeping in her bassinet without the incline pad
  • listening to music 24 hours a day

Thankfully, her list of dislikes is rather short at the moment! For the most part the only 2 things that she does not like are having her diaper changed and being put down...
During our stay at the NICU, as I would walk down the main hall to Madelyn's room, I would look around and could not help but wonder what story was behind each glass door. Why were they there? How long had their stay been so far? Where were their parents? Did their parents have the hope that we have? Luke and I spent many nights looking across the hall at a little girl that had to be kept in isolation. My heart sank the first time I saw the isolation bed. It then rejoiced the day I looked across and saw that baby had been moved to a regular bed. I was able to talk to her grandmother one day and she told me that her daughter was unable to even come visit her own child because she herself had been sick. I cannot even imagine not being able to be by Madelyn's side. Our eyes were opened to this whole new world. Countless times we have gone to the hospital to visit sick friends or family. Never have we seen first hand so many sick babies. Innocent little ones...struggling to get through each day...yet so resilient. Fighters, just like Madelyn. A world that is a daily reality for so many more families than we ever realized. Some that do not get to walk out of the doors of that hospital with their baby. This new world that we have seen has left such an impression on my heart. The staff in the NICU at Mother Frances was such a God send to our family, just like they are to so many others. More than we would ever care to acknowledge. It's easier not to think about. But I know that I always will. I am forever changed by that experience...the things we have seen and heard...the amazing gift that we were able to walk out those doors with.

Happy 2 weeks Madelyn Kate! We love YOU!

*Kathryn

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy that she is home healthy. She is so cute!! You are going to be a great mom. What a great story that she has to tell about how wonderful her parents are, what a christian example yall have set for her to start her life. Bess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy two weeks birthday Maddie.
    We love you!
    The Gaars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! She's home (I'm a little late to this party)! Congratulations! Prayers for continued health and weight gain - because when else in life do you pray for a girl to gain weight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! Grow Maddie grow! Glad to hear things are going well. Thanks for the updates and pictures! How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter