Friday, October 2, 2009

It's a good day!

2 1/2 hours sleep in well over 48 hours is taking it's toll...so the pictures will do most of the talking tonight. Not only did I get to feed our sweetie today, but she went from room air on the nasal cannula at 2 liters to nasal cannula free!

I absolutely love kangaroo care! She is so tiny and sweet. I could sit like this all day long!


My sister is in South Africa so she and Madelyn got to skype this morning with Grandma's help.
3 generations. I have already asked my mom to be our at home health nurse when we make the trip home. Speaking of home...the doctor said it would be Monday at the earliest. As excited as I am at the thought of walking into our own house again...it terrifies me all at the same time. My mind races straight to the crazy scenarios and then I remind myself to take every thought captive.
Aunt Marlo has come to visit several times a day...but this is one her first pictures with her niece.
Check out the first pics of our little babe without ANYthing attached to her head (except her super cute bow band of course)! No IV's, nasal cannulas, ventilator, CPAP, feeding tube, oxy hood...NOTHING!

So far she has maintained her saturation pretty well. She is averaging 30-75 respirations per minute. The doctor wants her between 40-60. We are praying for continued success throughout the night. She has had several pauses up to 15 seconds. As time goes by, we hope those pauses are further apart and then not at all.
Days like today...good days...make it easier to praise the Lord. Easier is not what it should about though. I am learning that even on the worst day of my life, God was glorified. As I read through all the awesome notes that you left for Madelyn on her birthday post, I realized how far reaching her impact is. How God used the darkest day of my life to draw us closer to him. How he used the darkest day of my life to draw others closer to him. Our little one's impact is far reaching. Her influence is great. Yet she is only 8 days old!

This morning as Luke and I had walked over from across the street and were waiting for the elevator we had a mom walk up to us. She told us she recognized us from our blog. She wanted to let us know she had been praying for Madelyn. WOW!

Later today as I read comment #31 of Madelyn's notes, I was humbled to read that her story has already brought one person to a relationship with our creator. God has given us all a story...if we choose not to tell it we will never know the impact it could have on those around us. We would never know how far it would reach.

We are thankful for another day...deep breaths...and the impact our little girl has. She is a gift. She is being used by God in mighty ways and we are in awe of the work of His hands!

*Kathryn

7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear wonderful news, and to see these great pics. And how sweet to see Luke holding Maddie. I know he loved seeing you hold her, Kathryn, but I'm glad he finally got a turn. And great pics with Martha, Paul, Marlo and Jarrod (who I don't think could grin any bigger)! Looking forward to pics of all the Bilberrys with their newest little addition. She is a beauty.

    Hope the proud parents get lots of rest tonight.

    Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful!! And thank you so much for sharing your story!! As you have said - it has touched many, many lives!! I am so glad she is doing better!! Looking forward to meeting her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear such wonderful news about Madelyn. Your faith is so uplifting. Thank you for sharing your story.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful!! Just a gorgeous little girl, I'm so glad she is getting better day by day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat to see everyone smiling and feeling such joy. Our love,Sharon and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I know your hearts must be overflowing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am blessed by your story, family and pictures. My husband and I have been praying for Madelyn.Your Birdwell family has you in their thoughts and prayers as well. GOD is so Good!!

    Cindy Haning

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter