Monday, October 5, 2009

another day...

I really hoped that I would write this post while sitting on my bed with my husband on one side and our little girl in her bassinet on the other side. Unfortunately (and fortunately all at the same time) I am writing from the semi comfortable reclining chair in Madelyn's room in the NICU.

This morning my mom sat with Madelyn while Luke and I took our showers and got dressed. For the second time in the last 11 days I put on my "going home dress". The first time I put it on was out of necessity. For the first time in my life I had not over packed. So when we were still at the hospital by Sunday, I had to put it on because it was the only thing that I had left that was clean. Today was the second time. This time I put it on because we were going home.

Well, we thought we were going home. The doctor even thought we were going home. She even had discharge papers in her hand. Then she began to explain to us that one of her morning labs had come back a little elevated from the previous days lab. Her sodium bicarbonate level was high as well as her calcium. The doctor (who we are SO thankful for) eventually asked us if she could interest us in staying ano
ther day to monitor it a little further. The elevated bicarb level indicates metabolic alkalosis. This level was high when she was having her major respiratory problems but had dropped as of Saturday. They decided to run some more labs that won't be back for another 4-5 days that will determine why that is happening, but will draw another blood gas tomorrow morning to determine if the bicarb level is still elevated. The doctor said this could possibly be what caused the apnea. We are so thankful for such an amazing doctor who has been so completely thorough in taking care of Madelyn.

Like her mom, Madelyn had on her "going home dress" too. Our car was loaded up with all of our bags. We were completely excited that Madelyn had made SO much progress. We still are. It just may have to wait another day or 2 before we make the trip home. Needless to say, I took off our "going home dresses" and put us both in something much more comfy.
We took a couple of short naps together today. I love this picture. I have a feeling she is going to be quite the snuggler!

Tonight Madelyn opened a package from her Great Aunts and Great Grandma (with the help of her Papa)...It was a little glow worm for our little glow worm...I would be lying if I didn't say that my heart sank at the news that Madelyn would not be going home today. I would also be lying if I said that I was unhappy that her doctor made that decision. I have full confidence in her decisions and we respect her for taking everything in to account. She has been such a blessing to our entire family. We rest easier knowing that she is in good hands.

For now...we wait and see. We hope that all comes back normal in the morning and we get more good news when the other results come back in 5 days. Whatever the case may be...our God is good. He is in control. He has a purpose for this little life that he has entrusted to us.

On a lighter note...Madelyn decided to play tricks on her Grandma tonight. She thought it would be funny to poop on her clean diaper as Grandma was changing her. When that poopy diaper was being changed she took the chance to pee on the next clean one...and her clothes...and her blankets. Once that diaper was off and yet another clean diaper was on, she pooped and peed again! HA! Personality? I think so!

Praying tomorrow is a good day. Praying for strength, rest and the ability to face whatever comes our way.

*Kathryn


6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you guys couldn't come home today but thankful for such a thorough doctor! I LOVE THE PICTURE OF MADDIE HOLDING YOUR HAND! Too too sweet! Oh and the diaper story at the end...PRICELESS! Keeping you all in my prayers and thoughts! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure ya'll are all disappointed that ya'll didn't make it home yesterday - as we all are - but yet I know that ya'll are comforted by the amazing doctors that are making sure that little Miss Maddie is absolutely ready to go home - as we all are!!!! Please let me know if I can do anything for ya'll - other than keeping ya'll in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continued prayers! Madelyn looks GREAT and I'm so happy to see her without wires. You can tell that she's one tough cookie, but is also a sweet baby! Can't wait for the "going home" post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an awesome thing to hold a sweet treasure in your arms sent from our gracious Lord..you are wonderful parents and sweet Maddie is so blest by the godly people in her life..his strength is made known by our weakness..Praise our Lord for he is good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have going home dresses!!! Luke and Kathryn, you have been through so much, and I'm glad Madelyn has improved greatly-- totally answered prayers. I'm thinking of you often, and praying for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all are continually in my thoughts and prayers. You have such a BEAUTIFUL girl! I can't get enough of looking at her. Anxiously awaiting new of the definitive dawning of the "going home dresses".
    *Lots of Love,
    Reagan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter