Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rejoicing in the small stuff

Madelyn has been doing so well since she extubated herself! She started to get fussy around 8am and the nurse asked if I wanted to hold her skin to skin for 30 minutes to try to calm her down. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??
So we stuffed her up my shirt and spent the next 3 HOURS comforting each other...talking about the future...dreaming of Disney World...and all the mommy daughter things that are to come.Can you tell this is a moment that I have been waiting for? There is nothing like feeling your baby in your arms when all you have been able to do is watch her lay in her hospital bed.
Luke was telling her how proud he is that she is doing so well!! He has probably given her 30 kisses on her forehead today. What an awesome dad! What an amazing husband.
Here is the latest picture of our family of 3. Have I told you lately how blessed we are?

Madelyn just got her first bit of food in a few days. They did a gavage feeding of a 1/2 ounce. This is where another period of "wait and see" happens. Madelyn started to really progressively get worse when her feedings began the first time a few days ago. We will be watching closely over the next 24 hours to see how she responds to the food. We are hoping that it was just a coincidence that these 2 happened so close together. We are praying she continues to feed well through the tube so that she can continue to get stronger. We are rejoicing in each small miracle as we wait expectantly for the next one.

*Kathryn

9 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I cry EVERYTIME I read your blog! You guys are SO blessed, and have an amazing testimony of being faithful to God no matter what is going on in your life! So proud of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if those are the CUTEST family pics ever! So glad to hear all the great news, and looking forward to more great news. When you two are giving her all those kisses, give her one for me!

    Love,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathryn and Luke,

    Just wanted you both to know that I'm praying for Madelyn and for both of you. I'm so excited that you were able to hold her today, and I hope she gets better everyday. So glad to know you both, and so excited to see her grow up in such a great family.

    Bethany Waits :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kathryn and Luke,

    Your little daughter is so beautiful and is blessed with wonderful parents. I have been praying for all of you ever since Pamela told me about Madelyn. Your faith will get you through this.

    Connie Bullock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathryn and Luke,

    I heard about your story from someone in my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group, and they passed on your blog. I just read everything about your precious Madelyn, and wanted to let you know that your family will be in my prayers. My oldest son was born 15 weeks premature and spent 4 months in the NICU. Reading your story reminded me of our roller coaster NICU experience. God is truly amazing in what he can overcome, and I have faith that your little girl will be home with you soon! God bless!
    - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luke and Kathryn:

    I've been wondering about the two of you have been doing and I just found out today that there is actually 3!!! Congratulations!!! I've caught up on the story and am also amazed at your faithfulness and continues love of God not matter what comes your way!! Ever since I've seen and then met the two of you, I just knew that ya'll would make wonderful parents!! God has placed this precious baby in good hands!! He definitely knows what he's doing!! All of ya'll have been blessed w/ each other for reasons unknown!! All of you are in my thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you and rejoicing in wonderful moments like getting to hold Maddie Kate! Praying you are going home soon and she is healthy as can be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathryn and Luke,
    So happy Maddie is doing better. I say a special prayer for her daily as I start my day. She is so blessed to have such strong and faithful parents. Thanks for letting us share in your joy and trials. I cry with you when I see how hard it is not to be able to hold and cuddle her. I am sure it won't be long before it will become part of your daily routine :) Can't wait for the day you take her home and allow visitors! Love to you all, Renee B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful pictures!! I'm glad she's doing better- ya'll are a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter