Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Home!

This morning the neonatologist came to our room at about 10 am. At this point we knew her bicarb level that they wanted to monitor for another day, was lower than the day before. That was the first victory of the day. We also knew she gained almost 2 ounces to weigh in at 6 lbs 3 ounces! Second victory of the day. The other labs were send outs that will take several days to process and they will be followed up with the pediatric endocrinologist as well as her pediatrician. We knew that the combination of gaining weight and a lower bicarb level meant that this was going to be the day...the day we got to bring Madelyn home!!

Here are a few pictures to show you what we have been up to so far today...No strings attached for the first time in Madelyn's life!! This was the very first time we held our girl and did not have to worry about pulling her leads off! Before this moment we could not move more than 2 feet away from her monitors. It was so amazing to cuddle her close and walk to the other side of the room. More than walking to the other side of the room...it was the best feeling in the world to walk through the doors of that hospital with our little one.
Me and my girl in our "going home dresses". I realized this morning that hers cost more than mine! Ha! She was worn out from all the picture taking.

"Who wants out of here??" While everyone that we encountered during our stays at ETMC and the NICU at Mother Frances were amazing...it was time to head home and we were more than ready.
Once we got Madelyn strapped in and ready to go, she conked out. She is such a good rider (so far). I guess we have many more trips ahead of us to determine just how great of a rider she really is!
Luke probably drove 5 miles per hour the whole way home. Not really, but it was more than likely the first time in his life that he has driven UNDER the speed limit. I guess children really do change your life for the better. Maybe now we won't have to budget for an annual speeding ticket :) I love you, Luke!
Don't you love the scenery?? We pulled in to the garage and were about to walk through the door for the very first time.
I think her favorite place to be is in her daddy's arms. She is always so content with him. I know that she feels loved and secure in his arms.
Within about 30 minutes of being home...we took our first family nap. Can I tell you that it was amazing?? I woke up from this nap in my bed not knowing how I got there. We only woke up when the little one was hungry. She loved her bassinet as much as we loved climbing in to our own bed!

It is hard to believe that 12 days ago we walked out of our house in anticipation of Madelyn's arrival thinking that we would only be gone a couple of days. 12 days does not sound that long, but it was by far the longest 12 days of my life. So much happened. Some moments that I hope to remember for the rest of my life. Others I hope that I am able to forget. For now, we are celebrating the homecoming of our little miracle. Madelyn Kate has changed our world forever. We are thankful that we never had to walk through the doors of our house without her. We are excited for the future...in awe of God's goodness.

We are looking forward to an evening surrounded by our family...relaxing at home...breathing deep and taking in these precious moments we have been given.

*Kathryn

14 comments:

  1. YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAAY!!! The post I have been waiting for!!!!

    What a beautiful family! I am so, so happy for you guys- words simply can't explain!!!!

    Enjoy your time at home as a family of three, I know you've been waiting very patiently for this day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't even have words to say....but PRAISE! This is the moment LOTS of people have been praying for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEEEESSS! Praise the Lord! - Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how AWESOME is HE!!!??!? I'm so glad ya'll are home and doing so well!! I'm sure that what ya'll have been thru - your first night home will be a breeze!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for all of you! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HIP HIP HOORAY!!

    We have all prayed for this day! Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are the sweetest pictures! Thanks for sharing this special "homecoming" with us! You both are wonderful parents!! And she is a blessing for sure!! Rest well!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well he may have slowed down coming home, but let me assure you one thing! The first time ya'll have to go to the ER for anything he will be going much faster. That always seems like the lost trip. I know from experience!!! We are glad ya'll are home, but don't squeeze her too tight. We will continue to pray for all three of you, and can't wait to see you. God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sweet sister,

    You are radiant. You are beautiful. Your joy and love for Maddie is shown in the depth of your eyes. I am so proud of you. I am proud of you for your deep love and commitment to the Lord at times when you have no idea how to keep moving. I am proud of you for your commitment to continue sharing your story for all to hear. I am proud of you for not being afraid to be you. God has gifted you in your writing and I love to read about your days. I look forward to November 23 when I can sit with you and share. Share about each moment with your miracle baby and Luke. God is at work. His plans for Maddie are already much bigger than we would have ever dreamed. I look forward to telling her about all the people from around the world that were praying for you, her daddy and her. Kathryn, I look forward to walking this journey with you. I love you more than I will ever truly be able to tell you.

    Praying for you,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just started reading your blog about a week ago and I am just so excited for you! I have prayed and prayed and am so happy!! Your faith in the Lord is so wonderful and I am so happy that you are the parents of Maddie! She is such a blessing-so beautiful. You are a beautiful family! I can't wait to read more updates on what is going on at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy for you and Luke. Reading your blog has been such an inspiration to me. Your unwavering faith in God during such a difficult and scary time has made my faith stronger and has made me appreciate my kids and their health so much more. Our 3rd daughter was born 2 wks ago last friday, and just like you, I went in not thinking anything would be wrong. Thankfully, nothing was and we went home the next day. However, this whole situation with Maddie has made me realize that anything can happen and God is in complete control. Thank you for being so diligent in writing. There were many times I would read your blog at night and cry and now I am crying b/c i am so happy this day finally came. God is so good!! God bless you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Byers' Family is celebrating with you!!! What a gift! I have shared your blog with some of my friends who wanted to join in praying for Maddie, we have all cried with you and now we get to rejoice with you! Thanks for letting us be a part of this special time in your life.
    Love and Blessings,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am just now catching up.....CONGRATS on bringing your beautiful baby girl home. GOD is SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment love! :)

Friend Counter